HISTORY

By the early 1900s it was clear electricity would transform society and life as Americans knew it forever. As the opportunities for work continued to grow, so did the need for an official organization of laborers to secure better working rights. Unfortunately, laborers didn’t reap the same benefits that electricity was providing to society, so far-sighted local electrical professionals got together and decided to organize. Thus, 246 was born and received its official charter on April 4, 1902 after several meetings involving inside and outside area electricians. Steubenville can be referred to as an “original” union in that it didn’t grow out of any other local or regional union.

On June 1, 1981, Local 93 amalgamated into 246, enhancing the union’s reach, power, leverage for negotiations, ability to complete projects and secure a steady, highly-skilled labor force.